Now, I am a clam chowder nut, but I don't ever use clams in my cooking. So, when I got home I wondered if I could make a chowder using what I had in my freezer: Treasures from the Sea Wild Alaskan Salmon. Here's some info on this brand: http://www.odysseyseafood.com/ ; http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/treasures-from-the-sea/
It came out superb! I will gladly share my recipe for those of you who like fish foods. I didn't measure anything, I rarely do, but here is how I made it:
I chopped up 1 strip of bacon (optional), 1 medium onion, several cloves of garlic, two stalks of celery, and a handful of mushrooms. I sauteed this in a large skillet with about 2 Tablespoons of Extra-Virgin, first cold press Olive Oil. When it was all soft and glossy, I lowered the heat and sprinkled about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour and stirred it around until it was evenly spread. Then I slowly added enough COLD water until it was of a gravy consistency and let this cook over low heat for a minute or two. (You can use cold milk for a more creamy sauce.)
I turned off the heat and added my spices. I used Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper mix (but you can use the Table Blend if you don't want the lemon flavor in it), salt and a pinch of black pepper (I didn't have any white pepper, which is what you should use for white sauces) and less than a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional). Use whatever spices you want to your taste.
To this I added about 3 large, chopped boiled potatoes and 3 chopped steamed carrots. (I cooked some frozen peas to add to my own serving later, as not everyone likes them!)
Then I cooked two fillets of the frozen salmon over low heat in a shallow pan with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and about 3 Tablespoons of water. When they were done I cut each fillet into bite size portions and added them and any remaining water they cooked in to the chowder.
Mix it all well and enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment