Monday, August 12, 2013

BLAME

GENESIS 3:8-12 "8Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?” 10He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.” 11And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?” 12The man said, “The woman YOU put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.” From the beginning man has found a way to deflect blame from himself. Adam, after all that God gave him, after all he did for him, could not keep from blaming God for his own bad action. Obviously,he did as all men do, whatever the woman wants them to do. He had been alone before her, most likely lonely and wishing for a companion as he saw the animals in the Paradise Garden were in pairs. Once God gave him this woman, he was more than reluctant to give her up. So he went along with her sin, eating the fruit they had been forbidden to eat. (The fruit was a test of faith loyalty, and together they failed the test, and paid the price.) If Adam had only had faith - and a backbone, he would have realized that God could easily have removed Eve and given him another woman, a companion just as beautiful and wonderful, if not better, as a reward for his obedience to his Maker. If only he would have been loyal and thankful to God, the One who had made him and given him everything, including the woman. But, alas, Adam thought not with his God-given brain, with logic and intelligence, but with the part of his body that to this day is the ruin of many men. Lack of appreciation was Adam's downfall. He betrayed God and instead of owning up to what he had done, he chose to place the blame on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment