Now, I never actually became a member of any Wiccan church, movement or organization, but I read books to learn more about their beliefs and how they cast spells. Let me tell you, the first thing you learn about Wiccans is their rede, which is a statement that advises, or provides a key moral code to their faith: "That it harms none, do as thou wilt."
Wiccans are commonly called white witches because they do not cast evil spells. They cast "white magick" in contrast to "black magick," which is associated with evil and Satanism. Wiccans cast spells to attempt to bring about positive changes in the physical world, such as spells for healing, protection, fertility or to banish negative influences.
I actually found all of this more amusing than realistic. Oh, I bought some books and tried a few simple spells, but I never fully got into the "spirit" of things. I attribute this to the fact that I grew up two houses away from a real curandera - a faith-healer, and in a culture that fully embraces the spiritual beliefs. Everyone knew where to go when they needed healing teas or rituals, and it was no secret where the ones who dabbled in the dark arts were.
From my childhood on, I heard much about real spells, those that help as well as those that hurt people. I also heard that there is one unshakable tenet for anyone who casts a spell that negatively changes the course of another persons' life: that all harm you do returns to you. Period. There is no getting around that. Anyone who fools around with the dark side of "magick," whether personally, or by association, should beware of what they are messing with. It is said that evil returns to the sender, the severity depending on the spell and the consequence.
The following are "stories" about spells gone wrong. They could be true, or they could just be coincidences.
My grandmother knew a woman who had an affair with a "horseman" (like a cowboy) who had promised to marry her. Well, he didn't, he married someone else and left her with child. She got so angry that she went to his farm and cast a spell on his horses, and they withered away and died. When her daughter was born she had a long face and when her teeth came in, well, you know, they looked like horses' teeth. I won't mention her name, but I met her one time when I was about twelve, and that's what I thought, that she looked just like a horse.
A girl I knew from around the neighborhood (I'll call her Lucy) had a similar thing happen to her: she was dumped while pregnant and the guy's new wife let it be known that she had "taken care of her" through witchcraft. Lucy got sick and her baby was stillborn, but when her ex-boyfriends wife had her baby he was born with severe physical and mental deformities.
Someone my mother knew also supposedly used spells to get a married policeman to divorce his wife and marry her. They had fooled around and she had a son by him, then later they had a few more kids. Her firstborn lost his mind when he was in his late teens, and she suffered a lot with him. One day he got his father's gun and killed her. When they asked him why he did it he said that her face kept changing from good to something really evil and he had to kill the evil one.
Someone I personally knew left his wife and kids for another woman who made no secret that she had used "witchcraft" to get him. She got him, and she wouldn't let him see his kids by the first wife, but he became very sick and eventually died a very painful death.
As fantastical as Wicca seemed, I didn't take it serious. It didn't make sense to me, and had too much dogma, so I abandoned it. I donated all of the books to the library.
When I burn incense or candles now it's to scent the house and occasionally I do burn prayer candles. I pray for protection, banishment of all evil and evildoers, and I pray for others, that they may also have protection. I pray for wisdom for some that seem to need it, chuckle.
I leave it to others to do as they please. One thing I learned is that if you leave people up to their own devises they will do more harm to themselves in the long run than what they wish or try to do to you.
Goodness is a euphanism for Godness, or Godliness. Unfortunately, some choose to do the opposite, whether outright or in secret. Too bad they don't understand or realize that all the evil they do will remain with them, for in doing evil to others, it is indisputable that it comes from a very bad place, their hearts.
No comments:
Post a Comment